Monday, August 22, 2011

But the seed in the good ground -- these are the ones who, having heard the word with an honest and good heart, hold on to it and by enduring bear fruit.
Luke 8:15

I always thought of fruit as something to work for.  I'm not sure why, a tree certainly doesn't work to bear its fruit.  It just does what its made to do.  In the right soil, with the right moisture and moderate temperatures, it explodes with juicy luscious fruit right on schedule.  But it can't do anything about any of those factors.  It just holds on, it just endures and responds to whatever comes its way. 

So instead of analyzing my life against a list of spirit fruit, instead of wondering where I should work harder and how I can improve a weak area, my job is just to hold on.  To hear the word with an honest heart, to cling to it against all storms, to endure; and wait for God to produce the fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment