Sunday, August 7, 2011

But Jesus answered him,


"It is written,


Man must not live on bread alone."


Luke 4:4





There's a lot of bread around here in the summertime. My college kids come home with left over dorm snacks, craving their favorite treats, and plotting new culinary experiments impossible in the confines of a communal kitchen.


I don't know why I always think I'll eat healthier then. The lure of fresh fruits and vegetables and unstructured time create the illusion that I'll produce and enjoy wonderful healthy new recipes. I enjoy new recipes all right. A son's homemade calzones, a daughter's hot zucchini bread, and ice cream straight from the canister. There's fresh fruit too of course, but I'm not so sure it counts when it's layered over pound cake and the rest of that ice cream batch.


No, I certainly don't live on bread alone. More than all this though, I live on gentle morning breezes and a book on the deck; on the shared awe of a humming bird flitting around baskets of flowers; on the icy splash of ocean waves, and sitting of the rug teasing the cat. As summer draws to a close and their thoughts turn back to their lives far away, I live most of all on the treasure of children drifting into friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment