Monday, April 4, 2011

The Levites:
Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel,
Sherebiah, Judah, and Mattaniah
he and his relatives -
were in charge of the praise songs.
Nehemiah 12:8

Music was the backdrop of my life for as long as I can remember. Records on the stereo, singing in the kitchen, someone's stumbling practice on piano, saxaphone, or violin. When my children were small, it was the boom box perched on the top of the refrigerator, the brand new Christian radio station the constant joy of our days.

The stations changed, favorite tapes were discovered, then slowly gave way to CDs, but always the music was there. Then somewhere, in the midst of one more move, after school sports, the meetings and appointments of high school, it faded away. There was always still something on in the car, but I just never turned it on in the house anymore. Sometimes the kid's music would blast through the walls. Sometimes, I even liked it. But usually, even they listened primarily through individual earbuds.

And then they left. My house descended into silence.

I love that in the midst of rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem, repopulating the city, and recommitting their nation to God, they took time to set a group of men in charge of the praise songs.

It's time to bring back the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment