Sunday, July 21, 2013

Botanical Gardens





I wonder whose job it is to create these designs.

I guess it would get tedious after awhile.  There are rows and rows of them.  It seems like such a peaceful calming way to spend a morning though; trailing a rake in swirling lines around the rocks and bushes, outlining the borders of the gardens, and smoothing away the imprint of animals and leaves and limbs from the previous day.

It's as hushed as a world apart here.  The knobby pebbled sidewalk scarcely registers my steps.  Birds call back and forth across the wooded path.  In the distance is a splash of water and the muffled chatter of children tossing fish food to the enormous koi and the interloping geese.

Even the roar of the city traffic beyond the fence seems low and subdued; present, but unobtrusive, not really a part of this realm.

I wandered from plot to plot, tracing the smooth designs in my mind and imagining the creation of each.  It was only at the end that I wondered how the artist would feel tomorrow.

Is it frustrating to find all that work disturbed, or is it a joy to have a fresh canvas to create.



No comments:

Post a Comment