Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Judges 16:10

Then Delilah said to Samson, "You have mocked me and told me lies!  Won't you please tell me how you can be tied up?"
                          Judges 16:10

You'd think he'd get a clue.  Four times Delilah begs him to tell her how he can be conquered.  Four times, she tries it.  And each time, she brings his greatest enemies into the house to ensure his defeat.  Did it never once occur to him that this person can't be trusted?  Did he really think when he finally gave her the whole story, that she wouldn't test him just as she'd done before?  Or did he just have such a  colossal ego that he really believed he couldn't be conquered anyway?  

Or course, the story isn't really clear on how long all of this went on.  I think I tend to read it as each episode taking place on consecutive days, but it doesn't really say that.  In fact, the last one does say that she begged him day after day, so maybe there were longer periods of time in between that allowed him to forget or rationalize what she'd done before.  

I'm just not sure I'd forget someone trying to kill me.  

I'd like to think I'm more aware, more discerning, that I wouldn't be tricked by such an obvious ploy.  It's probably not true.  Samson focused on his own goals; a beautiful woman; his own contentment; an end to the nagging; and even his own pride; ample past evidence that he could win any battle without much concern as to whether God was in it or not.  

What do I focus on every day?  My schedule, my plans, my expectations for where I'm going and the response of those I expect to meet.  How often do I really listen, really focus on surprise interruptions and unexpected requests?  Do I take the time to consider the past and analyze results, or do I just do what's most expedient to move on with my day?  

A few seconds to stop, to breathe, to focus on God.  It could have saved Samson's life, made it the blessing it was intended to be.  

What could it do for mine?


      

No comments:

Post a Comment