Wednesday, June 5, 2013

    
                         

 Well, it's one way to go camping I guess.  A big scary storm, a gigantic tree toppled over the power lines, and three days without electricity.  Electric trucks from all over the country are still lined up on every street, so I know hundreds of people must still be out.  We still don't have cable, so I have no idea how they're fairing or what levels of frustration they're reaching, but I imagine it's pretty high.  I feel a little guilty knowing that, about the fact that I actually really enjoyed myself.  The weather was mild, the hot water still ran, and fire wood was scattered like Easter eggs.  It was hard work clearing the branches and raking the debris, but it felt wonderful to be outside using my muscles after the seemingly endless winter.  I loved cooking over the fire pit and relaxing on the deck.  I loved having my family sitting with me reading and talking on the swing instead of holed up behind a computer.  

It's a stretch to compare it to camping, with running hot water and comfortable beds, but the scent of wood smoke and a cool morning breeze lull me into feeling that I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment